The Priesthood Helps Me Come Unto Christ.
Game: On pieces of paper, write some statements from Alma 13 about the priesthood. Let the children guess what these statements refer to.
Explain that all priesthood ordinances point us to Jesus Christ. (See “Ordinances” in True to the Faith, 109–10.)
New Era July 2014 “What Do You See?” This New Era article explains how priesthood ordinances are full of signs and symbols that can point us to Jesus Christ.
Friend October 2012 “Coloring Page: We receive the ordinances of salvation through the priesthood.”
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. The sun and glittering stars and moon shone bright. With priesthood power, He made the earth and sea. And with His power, He blesses you and me.
Our Savior raised a young maiden from the dead. He spoke, and thousands of hungry souls were fed. With priesthood power, He made the blind man see. And with His power, He blesses you and me. God shares His power with us in latter days. To guide, to lift, and to heal in wondrous ways.
Each priesthood ordinance helps me clearly see, That with His power, He blesses you and me. The God who created the universe and ev’ry tiny flow’ Delights to bless me lovingly through sacred priesthood pow’r.
Heavenly Father Strengthens Me According to My Faith.
Watch from point 2:49 in the below video. Or use the images that portray the story.
Alma, Amulek, and the people who believed on their words all faced terrible trials. Through faith in Jesus Christ, we can be given strength to endure opposition and adversity.
Alma and Amulek were given strength to escape the prison “according to [their] faith which is in Christ” (Alma 14:26). Alma and Amulek were in prison for many days before the Lord freed them. This story can help the children learn that their trials may not have quick or easy solutions, but the Lord will strengthen them “according to [their] faith” (Alma 14:26
- Build a pretend prison with blankets, cushions, or pillows.
- Let each family member take a turn acting out the scripture story by being in prison and breaking free.
- After each person breaks free, have them share one way God has helped them in real life.
Discussion: Alma and Amulek used their freedom to continue teaching people about the gospel. How can we help others with what God has given us?
The Gospel Can Change Hearts.
Zeezrom actively opposed Alma and Amulek at first, but their testimonies touched his heart and inspired him to repent.
We are Blessed When We Follow the Prophet
- What had Alma previously prophesied would happen to the people of Ammonihah if they did not repent? (God would “utterly destroy [them] from off the face of the earth” [Alma 9:12].)
- What happened to the people of Ammonihah? Alma 16:1–3
Zoram was captain of the Nephite army. He asked the prophet how to rescue some people who had been captured. Because he listened to the prophet Alma, he was able to rescue the people! (See Alma 16:2–8.)
Friend June 2020 “My Family Night Fun” Game: Follow the Leader
- How did Zeezrom feel when he realized he had blinded the minds of the people? (Alma 14:6.)
- How did Zeezrom show he was sorry for his sins? (Alma 14:7.) How did the people treat him?
- What did the people of Ammonihah do to Zeezrom and those who believed Alma and Amulek? (Alma 14:7, 9.)
- As the sorrowing Alma and Amulek watched the scriptures and the innocent wives and children burning, what did the Holy Ghost tell Alma? (Alma 14:11.)
- Why didn’t Heavenly Father allow Alma to save the people from the fire?
- What happens to righteous people who die in defense of the truth? (Alma 60:13.)
- While Alma and Amulek were in prison, what were they given the power to do? (Alma 14:25–28.) Who gave them this power? Why do you think the people of the city ran away from Alma and Amulek? (Alma 14:29.)
- Why was Zeezrom sick with a burning fever? (Alma 15:3.)
- What made it possible for Zeezrom to be healed both physically and spiritually? (Alma 15:6–8.)
- After he was healed and baptized, what did Zeezrom do? (Alma 15:12.) What are you doing now to share the gospel with others?
- What happened to Amulek because he was a missionary? (Alma 15:16.)
- What did Alma prophesy would happen to the people of Ammonihah if they refused to repent? (Alma 9:18.) How was this prophecy fulfilled? (Alma 15:15; 16:2–3, 9–10.)
Come, Follow Me—For Primary: Book of Mormon 2020 “Alma 13-16”
Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families: Book of Mormon 2020 “Alma 13-16”