Book of Mormon Stories “Chapter 46: Jesus Christ Teaches and Prays with the Nephites” Images and Video (Start video at the first image below.)
I can pray in my heart.
- Ask the children to show you what they do when they pray. What do they do with their arms? their heads? their eyes? Explain that sometimes we want to talk to Heavenly Father, but we can’t kneel or close our eyes. What can we do? Read to the children from 3 Nephi 20:1: “[Jesus] commanded them that they should not cease to pray in their hearts.” Tell the children how you pray in your heart.
- Draw a mouth and a heart on the board. Ask the children to point to the mouth and tell you some things they say when they pray. Then ask them to point to the heart, and explain that we can say those same things in our hearts. Testify that Heavenly Father knows our feelings and thoughts.
To help family members understand that we can “pray always,” you could make a list of circumstances in which we could pray (or draw pictures to represent them). Then your family could sing a song that teaches about prayer, such as “Did You Think to Pray?” (Hymns, no. 140), replacing some of the words in the song with the words from their lists. How does the Lord bless us when we pray always? (Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families: Book of Mormon 2020 )
Paying tithing brings blessings.
Friend September 2017 “Blessings of Tithing” To discover the special promise Heavenly Father made to those who pay tithing, answer the questions and then use those answers to solve the code.
Paying tithing helps build God’s kingdom (3 Nephi 24:8–12).
Color the pictures, then cut out the circle and the spinner. Attach the spinner to the center of the circle, and rotate it to see some ways your tithing helps the Lord’s work.
Friend October 2020 “Come, Follow Me for Little Ones” Read 3 Nephi 24:10 together and help your little ones say, “Our family is blessed when we pay tithing.” Show your children 10 coins or pieces of paper money. Help them count to 10, and then practice setting aside one of the coins or bills. You could also help them recognize what a tithing slip looks like. This would be a great time to share a testimony of how paying tithing has blessed your family.
More ideas for what tithing is used for can be found here
Heavenly Father wants me to learn about my ancestors.
Tell the children that 3 Nephi 25:5–6 contains a prophecy about an event that would happen in the latter days. Invite them to read these verses to find out what it was. Testify that this prophecy has been fulfilled, and invite the children to read about it in Doctrine and Covenants 110:13–16(see also Gospel Art Book, no. 95). Explain that when we learn about our ancestors and do temple work for them, our hearts are turning to our fathers.
More Family History Ideas Here
I can search the scriptures diligently.
If the Savior were to examine the records our family has kept, what questions might He ask us? Are there any important events or spiritual experiences that we should record? Now might be a good time to create or add to a family record and counsel together about what to include. Younger family members might enjoy decorating your record with photographs or drawings. Why is it important to record our family’s spiritual experiences?
More Scripture Study Ideas Here
After reading this verse, maybe you could make a homemade tent and talk about how the Church is like a tent in a wilderness. What might it mean to “lengthen [its] cords” and “strengthen [its] stakes”? How do we invite others to find “shelter” in the Church? (see the video “Welcome”onComeuntoChrist.org)
Ensign October 2020 “Family Study Fun” Paper Name Gathering Game
We “gather Israel” when we help other people learn about the gospel. Jesus taught about this gathering in 3 Nephi 20–22.
- Give each person a piece of paper and ask them to write down any name that comes to mind.
- Everyone should close their eyes while one person hides the papers.
- Read 3 Nephi 20:18 and 39–40 out loud. How can you help other people learn about Jesus?
- While listening to a song about Jesus, invite everyone to help find the names and put them by a picture of the Savior.
Discussion: How does it make you feel to know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ know each person by name?