Song: Remember the Sabbath Day
(Children’s Songbook pg. 155)
- Materials needed: double-sided tape, page protectors.
- Print one set of the song activity items. (Print the synonym words and the correct words onto two different colors of paper to help avoid mixup.) Cut out the words and write the word’s number on the back of each piece. Check the list below to find the numbers. (Example: The words “Remember” and “Keep in mind” would be #1).
- Put the song page and the Synonym Match-up page into page protectors. Put a piece of double-sided tape on the back of the synonym words and put them onto their correct numbered spot on the song page. Using double-sided tape, put the correct words on the Synonym Match-up page in random order.
- A recording of the song can be found here, or a CD of the Children’s Songbook can be checked out from the meetinghouse library.
Show the song page to the family and read it to them. Tell them that some of the words are not correct. The incorrect words are synonyms of the correct words, which mean that they are similar in meaning to the correct words.
Show the page that says Synonym Match-Up. Tell the family that the correct words are listed on this page, and they need to replace the synonyms on the song with the correct words.
Have them take turns choosing a word and finding its match. (You may have to read the choices to younger children.) They can check the numbers on the back of the words to see if they have found the right match.
After all the correct words are in place, sing the song. (You may have to say each sentence out loud before singing to help small children who can’t read.)
You can take off words and try singing again to see if the family remembers the words to the song.
Correct Words Synonyms
1) Remember 1) Keep in mind
2) the Sabbath day 2) Sunday
3) always keep 3) continually hold
4) it holy 4) it sacred
5) The Lord 5) God
6) blessed 6) set apart
7) hallowed it 7) consecrated it
8) worship 8) show devotion to