Helaman 10-11 Nephi receives the sealing power and the protection of the priesthood to do Heavenly Father’s work.
Lesson 30: Nephi Receives Great Power
Primary 4: Book of Mormon ““Lesson 30: Nephi Receives Great Power” Begin your class with the lights turned off. Ask the children if they have noticed something unusual. Ask someone to turn on the lights. Talk about the power of electricity that gives light. Discuss what things in the children’s homes run on electricity (stove, refrigerator, fans, tools, and so on). Explain that this lesson is about a different kind of power, a power stronger than electricity: the power of the priesthood of God.
- Tell the children you are thinking of a word. Ask them to listen to the following descriptions and raise their hand when they know the word.
- It is the power of God.
- Through this power the Lord blesses his children and his church.
- Those who hold this power represent the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Those who hold this power are appointed to do the things the Savior wants done.
- What is the name of this power? (The priesthood.)
The Priesthood Blesses Everyone
Friend April 2018 “What’s on Your Mind” Is the priesthood only for men and boys?
Ensign April 2018 Boys and men hold the priesthood but women use priesthood authority to perform their callings.
The Work of the Priesthood
Friend April 2018 “What’s on Your Mind” How we can help with the work of the priesthood.
Friend October 2017 “Family Night Fun”
Here are some tips to help you feel the Holy Ghost when you get a priesthood blessing.
● Turn off electronics so you won’t be distracted.
● Say a prayer before you receive your blessing to help you clear your mind and focus on the Spirit.
● Listen carefully to the words of the blessing. How do they make you feel?
Friend February 2017 “What are Priesthood Keys?”
The Priesthood Helps Me Come Unto Christ.
Game: On pieces of paper, write some statements from Alma 13 about the priesthood. Let the children guess what these statements refer to.
Explain that all priesthood ordinances point us to Jesus Christ. (See “Ordinances” in True to the Faith, 109–10.)
New Era July 2014 “What Do You See?” This New Era article explains how priesthood ordinances are full of signs and symbols that can point us to Jesus Christ.
Friend October 2012 “Coloring Page: We receive the ordinances of salvation through the priesthood.”
Priesthood Holder Duties
- Display the following wordstrips: “Deacon,” “Teacher,” “Priest,” “Elder,” “Twelve,” “Fourteen,” “Sixteen,” “Eighteen.”Read the following descriptions to the children, one at a time, and invite them to find the two wordstrips that fit the description and post them on the chalkboard. It would be more challenging for older children if the descriptions were read out of order. (The descriptions for Aaronic Priesthood duties are taken from Doctrine and Covenants 20:46–59. The description for the office of an elder in the Melchizedek Priesthood is taken from Doctrine and Covenants 20:38–45; 107:11–12.)
- I have had the Aaronic Priesthood conferred on me. I pass the sacrament. I may serve as a messenger for priesthood leaders. I collect fast offerings. I help care for Church buildings and grounds. What am I? How old am I when I can be ordained? (Wordstrips: “Deacon,” “Twelve”)
- I hold the Aaronic Priesthood. I have all the duties and powers of a deacon, and I prepare the bread and water for the sacrament. I may be assigned to be a home teacher. What am I? How old am I when I can be ordained? (Wordstrips: “Teacher,” “Fourteen”)
- I hold the Aaronic Priesthood. I have all the duties and powers of a deacon and teacher, and I can administer (bless) the sacrament. I have the authority to baptize, help with ordinations of other Aaronic Priesthood holders, and take charge of meetings when there are no Melchizedek Priesthood holders present. I help Church members live the commandments. What am I? How old am I when I can be ordained? (Wordstrips: “Priest,” “Sixteen”)
- I hold the Melchizedek Priesthood. I may serve a full-time mission. I am called to teach, expound, exhort, baptize, and watch over the Church. I may give the gift of the Holy Ghost, conduct meetings, bless little children, administer to the sick, and bless family members. What am I? How old am I when I can be ordained? (Wordstrips: “Elder,” “Eighteen”)Ask the children to name one thing they have learned about the duties of these four priesthood offices.
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. The sun and glittering stars and moon shone bright. With priesthood power, He made the earth and sea. And with His power, He blesses you and me.
Our Savior raised a young maiden from the dead. He spoke, and thousands of hungry souls were fed. With priesthood power, He made the blind man see. And with His power, He blesses you and me. God shares His power with us in latter days. To guide, to lift, and to heal in wondrous ways.
Each priesthood ordinance helps me clearly see, That with His power, He blesses you and me. The God who created the universe and ev’ry tiny flow’ Delights to bless me lovingly through sacred priesthood pow’r.